Pages

▼

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Reflections on my Plainweave Boucle Towels by Mardi Naythons

The inspiration for these towels came from an item in Jane Stafford’s studio, using similar colors.  From there, I decided to work on gradation, using Fibonacci sequences and division of space. 

 
The warp was made up of Boucle cotton and 5/2 cotton, which I wound together so that most of the time the boucle threads weren’t adjacent.  I also tried to use gradation in changing colors.



As I wove, I changed the weft colors as I went.  I had a basic plan, but I let the colors be my muse.  There were a few surprises along the way, for example, I had never considered using white in the weft, but it worked well.  Also, at the end of the warp, I decided to just use straight orange rather than putting in stripes.  It turned out that there was enough to make a towel, though it was slightly shorter than the others and I really liked it.









3 comments:

  1. Mardi,
    Lovely towels. I am a member of Jane's Online guild as well - watched season 2 and have designed some of my own projects - your's are very different and love that Jane's design principals are so strong and general that the work is specific to the weaver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your towels! This looks like a fun warp to work on.

    Thank you for posting these photos.

    ReplyDelete