Sunday, March 26, 2017

Blue and Violet Tencel Scarf.

We are trying a new approach here on the Not 2 Square blog.  Instead of a couple of us writing up descriptions all the time, we have invited our members to explain their process and details about their pieces.  Mardi N. offered to do the first post about her tencel scarf.



This is my first project using Tencel. It is essentially a scarf length sample.

I had already woven one scarf using the Dornick Twill #196 by our own Dee Jones that I found by accident in Strickler’s Book of 8-Shaft Patterns. The first scarf, magenta was treadled as directed in #196. For this second scarf with the same threading, I decided to use the alternate treadling, #197.

Half of the yarn was dyed in KathrinWebber’s class last spring and the blue gray stripes in this scarf were dyed at home as it was necessary to augment my supply of warp to achieve 10 ½ inches in the reed. The yarn used was 10/2 Tencel. For the weft I chose some wine colored rayon of unknown grist that I had in my stash.

The sett was 20 EPI and the PPI was approximately 19-20. The overall length on the loom was 72 inches, not counting the fringes. After wet finishing, the width was 8 ½ inches and the length 64 ½ inches. Take up was 12% and the overall draw in was about 20 %.

I was extremely pleased with the weight and the hand of the scarf. - Mardi


2 comments:

Nancy said...

Beautiful! I always enjoy and get motivated from the posts from your group! Thank you.

Charlene said...

Your work is always so inspiring.
Enjoyed the commentary this time as well.
Thank you.